You know what I love? One bowl recipes. They make life 100% easier and sure maybe sometimes I must use more than one bowl, but often times, I’m like nope! It’s just not necessary. More bowls = more dishes right?
This Whole Wheat Cranberry Nut Biscotti is a favourite of mine to dip into my coffee or tea. I don’t really bake with white flour anymore so I hadn’t made biscotti in a few years now but then this year I had an inkling & really wanted to try making biscotti without refined flours or sugars! Spoiler alert, I’m happy to report it tastes just as good as regular biscotti! The only “downside” is that the coconut sugar results in a darker cookie vs. using white sugar but I’d much prefer the healthier version I made.
So some steps shall we? To make it a one bowl recipe…As you can see below, I put my dry ingredients in a large bowl and then added my liquid in the center after I made a hole for it.
Your dough should look similar to this. If it’s too crumbly, add more oil. If it’s already falling apart at this stage, it will only get worse once it bakes so it’s important to add more oil. Depending on what brand of flour you use, it could soak up more or less liquid. I used Organic Whole Wheat Flour & almond flour. You can use all purpose flour but I wanted to make these biscotti’s as healthy as possible and really other than the slightly darker colour, I didn’t even taste a difference by using whole wheat flour.
As I mentioned, I used coconut sugar to lightly sweeten these biscottis, resulting in a darker colour of the biscuits! This didn’t bother me & I’d rather use coconut sugar vs. white granulated sugar but really any granulated sugar will do so you do you!
Are you ready to dig in yet? YES? Good :). If you’re looking for another one bowl recipe, try my Guilt-free One Bowl Almond Butter Cookies. Those pictures don’t do it justice but I swear those cookies are super easy and delicious to whip up!
I’d love for you to try out my Whole Wheat Cranberry Nut Biscotti recipe! Please tag me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creation friends! To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and receive a freebie too!
Whole Wheat Cranberry Nut Biscotti
The longer you cook it once it's sliced, the harder the biscotti will be so use your own judgement. The cookies are slightly sweet, if you like sweeter, add a bit more coconut sugar.
- 1.5 cups organic whole wheat baking flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or any granulated sugar)
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 315F.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the large bowl and add wet ingredients. Whisk wet ingredients together before mixing completely with the remaining dry ingredients in the bowl.
- Once dough is well combined, add in toppings and knead the dough to combine toppings well throughout the dough.
- Shape dough into an oval shaped log (see picture). Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly (not completely).
- Slice loaf into biscotti pieces about 1 inch in width with a serrated knife. The thinner the pieces, the harder it will be to cut.
- Lay pieces on their side and return to oven for about 6 minutes per side or until biscotti is as hard as you like it. It will continue to harden once removed from the oven.