So a little story time before I dive into the recipe for this Vegan Creamy Pumpkin Pasta that is ACTUALLY healthy! Growing up everyone I knew loved Kraft Dinner… My parents never bought it for me and when I finally tried it (in grade 9 I think), I did not understand the hype!! I never really liked alfredo, mac & cheese or any type of creamy soup growing up (crazy I know! but I was a picky child). Then years later I went dairy-free and didn’t really think twice about dishes like mac & cheese until now… Cue the sauciest, creamiest pasta sauce!
This pumpkin sauce makes the pasta SO creamy, slightly cheesy and very filling. It’s been a fall staple for me lately. Bonus: This Vegan Creamy Pumpkin Pasta is totally vegan, gluten-free (depending on the pasta you use), dairy-free, soy-free and has no sugar added! If you’re doing Whole 30, the sauce is whole 30 approved! Just throw it on some spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles instead of pasta and you’re golden.
I personally like to use a gluten-free rotini pasta because it’s made with chickpeas and contains a lot of protein but you can use any type you prefer. The best ones would probably be rotini, fusilli, farafelle or macaroni! I find they soak up flavour the best in this type of recipe. If you end up with leftovers, it tastes absolutely delicious the next day so if you’re looking for a new meal recipe, check it out 🙂
If you’re wondering if you can make this recipe with a different plant based milk like almond, you can…However, it won’t be as creamy and delicious as coconut milk. See image below. Here I used almond milk because I was out of coconut milk and wanted to see what it would be like. For one, the pasta sauce was more runny and two, it just didn’t have the creamy and thick consistency coconut milk gets so if you must swap the milk, proceed at your own risk! Just kidding…it was good regardless but I 100% would prefer coconut milk for the texture.
Looking for another Vegan pasta recipe? Check out my Super Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese made with a pumpkin, cashew and almond milk concoction!
I can’t wait to see you try this recipe! Please tag me @balancingandie on all socials. I LOVE seeing your creations. To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and receive a freebie!
Vegan Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
You can use fresh or canned pumpkin puree. I prefer canned because it's fast.
I used chickpea pasta but you can use any type.
This is a saucy dish - if you want you can reserve the sauce for another time or just have extra sauce like I did. Plus the pasta will soak some up for leftovers.
If you'd like to substitute the coconut milk with almond milk, you can do so but it won't be as creamy and decadent as it is with coconut milk.
- 8 oz/227g Chickpea pasta (or any variety - approx 4 servings)
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 3 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 1 - 400 ml can full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp siracha (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- sprinkle of smoked paprika
- Cook pasta in accordance with the directions on the box. Leave al dente & set aside.
- In a deep pot, saute onion, garlic in avocado oil on medium high heat. Allow the onions to brown a little but continue to constantly stir. Once brown, turn heat to medium low.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and heat through (less than 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add pasta and stir well. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Spoon into bowls, add optional garnish if using and enjoy!