There are some ingredients in this world that are so versatile and can be literally used to make anything. These are my holy grail and ones I always keep stocked in the house! One of which is… ALMOND FLOUR! It’s literally the best, so light and airy for baking while being nutritious and easy to use for items such as energy bites.
I used almond flour in these other energy bite recipes that you have GOT TO TRY! Okay, I’m not yelling you are!
But I wanted to create a recipe that was higher in protein and a little fun (hence the sprinkles)! So I used chickpeas… yep those little beans are quite versatile! If hummus is delicious and savory, why can’t chickpeas be used for a sweet dessert/protein ball?
Some tips when making these:
- add ins are half the fun so include chocolate chips and/or sprinkles. I made a few with sprinkles and a few without :). If you wanted to make it SUPER healthy, you could use cacao nibs and/or nuts and seeds. The balls definitely need some kind of crunch to change up the texture, in my opinion!
- adjust the sweetness based on your taste. I like these protein balls lightly sweet because I don’t like consuming sugar (even if it is maple syrup and seriously better than refined sugar, it’s still sugar!) Plus, the less sweetener I put in, the more I can eat these daily rather than on special occasions like you would cake! However, some people, especially kids like things sweeter so if you have to add more, add a 1 tbsp at a time and see how you like it. They’re vegan and made without eggs so no problem eating the dough!
I’d love for you to give my recipe a try! Please tag me on Instagram or Facebook (@balancingandie) so I can see your lovely creations! To never miss a post, you can subscribe on the right hand panel and receive a FREE meal prep pdf.
Vegan Cookie Dough Protein Balls
- 1 - 591ml can chickpeas (drained - about 2 cups)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (extra to taste)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened nut butter (I used almond)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 tbsp sprinkles
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips (or cacao nibs)
- Mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips) in a food processor on high.
- Once it resembles a dough, transfer to a medium sized bowl and add chocolate chips. Stir well.
- Form into approximately 16 evenly shaped balls. Enjoy! Store any extras in the fridge for up to 10 days.