This week I wanted to share my healthy quinoa salad recipe. Quinoa is SUCH a versatile seed (not technically a grain). I throw it on my salads to make them more filling, use it in place of rice in burrito bowls or make quinoa salads as part of my weekly meal prep. It’s a complete protein meaning it contains all nine of the essential amino acids that your body needs and naturally gluten-free. If you’re not on the quinoa bandwagon, you need to get on that!
I have a hard time eating lots of fruit and veggies during the day because I’m always running around and you know, just living life. I’m also a bit of a germophobe so I don’t like eating and touching my keyboard constantly at work either. I love to pack lots and lots of veggies in my quinoa salad so a) I consume more veggies during the day at 1 time and b) volume! By adding more vegetables to my lunch, it keeps me full longer without eating lots and lots of extra calories. This salad is great for meal prep for the week, a side salad for dinner or something to bring to a potluck.
This quinoa salad has a lot of international flavours, in addition to Mediterranean cuisine. Vancouver is a very multicultural city and really we are spoiled for all the choices we have in terms of versatile cuisine, which is something that I LOVE. I think that I’ve taken a page from that in my daily cooking since I love combining flavours from different parts of the world. This recipe is partly inspired by Asia and the Middle East with a hint of Italy. So without further rambling, go try my recipe!! If you don’t like a vegetable, spice etc. just replace it with something you do like but keep in mind things like avocado, cut tomatoes will cut down the amount of time this salad will stay good in the fridge for. If you want to add tomatoes, I’d suggest uncut cherry tomatoes. Don’t use vegetables that release a lot of water. Using my recipe, you can store this in the fridge for 4-5 days and is perfect for meal prep!
I’d love for you to try my recipe. Please tag me on Instagram and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creations. Click here to pin this recipe for future reference or subscribe to my blog to never miss a post!
Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Feel free to replace vegetables you don't have access to or don't like with other things such as cabbage, cherry tomatoes (uncut), avocado (when serving only), cucumber etc.
This makes about 8 side servings. Perfect for meal prep or lots of leftovers.
If you like a "saucy" salad. I'd suggest doubling the dressing.
For the Salad:
- 1 cup dry quinoa (cooked)
- 1 540 ml can white kidney beans (or chickpeas)
- 3 cups bok choy chopped
- 1 zuchinni chopped
- 8 garlic stuffed green olives chopped
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes in oil
- 6 marinated artichoke halves chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro or basil (optional)
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp tahini sauce (ground sesame paste)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp siracha (or to taste)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- To cook the quinoa: boil 2 cups of water, add 1 cup of quinoa and simmer for 20 minutes. When done, transfer to large bowl and fluff with a fork. Allow to cool.
- Saute bok choy for 1 minute on medium heat until lightly wilted. Add to bowl.
- Add remaining salad ingredients to big bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth. If it's too thick, add more olive oil or water.
- Drizzle, mix and enjoy as a side salad with some protein or as a main meal.