This recipe is like the real deal mac & cheese I tell ya! I swear it could fool anyone who doesn’t believe in vegan food or that it can be cheesy and delicious. I also love how it looks and tastes like comfort food, yet it’s still healthy and nutritious.
If you’re looking for another creamy pasta recipe, try my Vegan Creamy Pumpkin Pasta recipe by clicking here. That one is similar to this recipe but it is nut free too (unless you consider coconut a nut).
I made this using whole wheat macaroni pasta, which I prefer to white pasta because it contains more fiber and is slower in the release of blood sugar in your body. Ever eat something super refined and feel like taking a nap after? That’s your body trying to process all the sugar (refined carbs) you just dumped in it.
I’m like the self proclaimed queen of food substitutions so if you’re:
Keto – swap the pasta for zucchini noodles
Gluten free – swap the pasta for gluten-free noodles
Nut free – omit cashews, add extra pumpkin & check out my recipe linked earlier in this post
Whole 30 – use whole 30 compliant ingredients for things like the hot sauce and substitute the noodles for zucchini noodles.
Or if you just eat dairy and don’t have any nutritional yeast lying around, add some cheddar cheese for a healthier mac & cheese recipe.
Whatcha waiting for? Make this Super Creamy Vegan Mac & Cheese and dig in! Also, this recipe tastes even better the next day so enjoy the leftovers.
I hope you try this recipe out and let me know what you think! Please tag me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creation friends! It just makes my day!! To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and receive a freebie too!
Super Creamy Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 375g box whole wheat macaroni (or gluten-free if required)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight (or boil in pot for 10 minutes with water)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp siracha/hot sauce (or to taste)
- cilantro and smoked paprika
- Cook macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain and transfer to same pot.
- If not using soaked cashews, boil water with cashews for 10 minutes to soften.
- Blend all sauce ingredients in a high power blender until smooth. Adjust salt & pepper as needed.
- Pour sauce onto cooked pasta, mix well and enjoy! Refrigerate any excess for up to 5 days.