I’m finally getting this recipe on the blog – yay! I initially made a version of this without cereal and shared the recipe on my Instagram. I got so much feedback and people really loved how easy it was so I wanted to add it permanently on my blog. The initial recipe without cereal was so good but I wanted to try adding some crunch. My recipe is vegan, dairy-free, no bake and gluten free as I used gluten-free Chex cereal (made with rice) but you can use whatever cereal you prefer or even omit it. Granola would be a fun addition too.
If you’re like me and like to pre-prep recipes sometimes. I would suggest stopping right before the jam step and finishing the recipe off when you have the time to complete the bars. The crust can be pre-made a few days in advance but once you start the jam step, the bars need to set, be cut and stored in an airtight container as soon as possible to avoid the cereal going stale. Luckily the final steps don’t take very long.
I love these No Bake Cereal “PB & J” Chocolate Bars because they’re so versatile!! I’m huge on easy recipes that can be made with simple ingredients and ones have on hand. Use any jam (I prefer a tart berry to balance the sweetness) and any nut butter you prefer like peanut, almond, cashew or sunbutter or tahini for a nut-free option. These bars would even make a great dessert to get your kids to help with. Sticky, fun and hands on!
Ingredients you’ll need:
Honey or Maple Syrup (choose the latter to keep the recipe vegan)
Nut or Seed Butter of choice
Milk of choice
Jam of choice
Crushed Cereal (I used Chex Gluten-Free)
Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
To keep the recipe no bake, almond flour and coconut flour are the perfect texture in this recipe so I wouldn’t suggest replacing these. However, if you really don’t have coconut flour, you can add more almond flour. Coconut flour is drier than almond flour so it won’t be a 1:1 replacement. I would add a little at a time, until the mixture is firm enough.
I can’t wait for you to try this no bake dessert. The recipe is so easy, delicious and a healthy treat. Ready to try the recipe? Please tag me on social @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creations!
No Bake Cereal "PB & J" Chocolate Bars
Don't keep the bars in the baking pan in the fridge long term. An airtight container is needed to keep the cereal from getting stale.
Feel free to use whichever nut butter or cereal you wish. Something mild tasting would work best but granola or nuts is another option instead of cereal.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2-4 tbsp honey or maple syrup (adjust based on your desired sweetness)
- 1/4 cup thick nut or seed butter (like sunflower, almond, peanut or cashew)
- 3 tbsp milk (room temperature)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup jam of choice (I used blueberry)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed Chex cereal (gluten-free if needed or other cereal of choice)
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Line 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix base layer ingredients in a medium bowl. Allow the coconut flour to soak up the liquid for a few minutes. If it's still too liquid, add a bit more of either flour, as needed. Crust should be wet but not liquid.
- Transfer base layer into parchment lined pan. Using another piece of parchment paper, gently press evenly all around until a crust is formed. Refrigerate crust layer for approximately 20 minutes. *If pre-making stop at this step.
- Once ready, add jam, followed by lightly crushed cereal layer.
- For the top layer, melt all ingredients using the double boiler method or in the microwave in 30 second increments until smooth. Drizzle on top of middle layer.
- Freeze or refrigerate for 30 minutes until set. Cut into 16 squares and store in an airtight container. Storing the bars properly will ensure the cereal doesn't get stale!