This ground chicken recipe is SO versatile and delicious so I decided to show you me using the chicken 2 ways. The 1st is a lettuce wrap and the 2nd is using the excess chicken to make buddha bowls with lots of greens, lettuce, crackers and my sun dried tomato hummus. Almost like a deconstructed lettuce wrap! Sometimes I prefer that so it’s easier to eat 🙂 .
This recipe would keep well in the fridge so perfect for meal prep and then using it different ways all week. Also, I used mushrooms in the recipe to add more of a meaty taste but keeping the amount of meat lower. If you don’t like mushrooms, try zucchini to add volume to your meal. Also for lettuce wraps, I prefer to use green leaf lettuce because it is more flavourful and more nutritious than iceberg lettuce but you can use whatever you’d like or find!
Here’s the 2nd way to use the ground chicken. I chopped up some lettuce and topped it with some hummus, arugula, pita chips, leftover brussel sprouts, baby potatoes and pomegranate. So fulfilling and healthy!
I hope you’ll give this recipe a try! As always, I LOVE seeing your recipe creations. Please tag me on all socials as @balancingandie so I can follow along 🙂 . To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and you will be given a FREE download to help you with your weekly meal planning!
High Protein Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Find the Bay leaf and cloves and remove from the dish or let your guests know. Cloves don't taste good eaten whole...Bay leaf, you definitely do not want to eat!
Substitute zucchini for mushrooms if needed.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil (Chosen Foods)
- 1 clove garlic (approx 1 tsp)
- 1/3 cup chopped white onion
- 2 chicken breasts (ground)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup packed cilantro (stems included)
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/8 cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 bunch of green leaf or red leaf lettuce
- Grind 2 chicken breasts in food processor. If using pre-ground chicken, skip to step 2.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add avocado oil and onion. Saute until translucent (1-2 minutes).
- Add spices and remaining ingredients other than mushrooms and cilantro. Continue to cook the chicken, stirring frequently.
- Once the chicken is almost cooked and no longer pink, add mushrooms and continue cooking for another 2 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked down.
- Taste - add more salt or spices if needed.
- Remove the bay leaf and cloves if you can easily find them.
- Add fresh cilantro and serve immediately or refrigerate any excess.
© 2023 Copyright © 2016-2018 Balancing Andie