One last Fall inspired recipe because I’m just not ready to jump into everything Christmas just yet (trust me it’s coming!!). I’ve been wanting to experiment with cassava flour for ages and I’m so happy I finally did! Cassava flour is made from Yuca root and is naturally gluten, grain and nut-free, as well as vegan, vegetarian and paleo! It’s a bit pricey compared to other gluten-free flours but if you’re looking for a nut-free baking flour (although this recipe is not nut-free), it’s the best! You can likely get the best deal by shopping on Amazon like this one. If you want to make these cookies and don’t have cassava flour, I already use almond flour in this recipe so I would suggest substituting the same amount of almond flour for the cassava flour the recipe calls for and they should still turn out amazing. Almond flours vary but I like the texture of the Kirkland one available at Costco or Amazon! It’s fine enough and uses blanched almonds so I find it blends really well in baking.
This recipe only needs 1 BOWL (my favourite) YAY! I used pureed canned pumpkin for ease but you can always roast your own gourd and make your own puree. If you’re using the canned variety, always make sure you get the unsweetened one (not pumpkin pie filing)! The pumpkin makes the cookies so soft and moist and is full of Vitamin A too since 1 cup of pumpkin contains almost 200% of your daily value of Vitamin A. Not that I’m saying you should only get your Vitamin A from cookies but hey, if it helps right!
p.s. if pumpkin isn’t your thing or you want to explore other flavours, no sweat! I have some more cookie recipes you can try:
Grain-free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies by clicking here.
Chewy Trail Mix Oatmeal Cookies by clicking here.
No Bake Chocolate Macaroons by clicking here.
Or perhaps some cookie skillets like my Grain-free Raspberry Chocolate Cookie Skillet or Chocolate Banana Cookie Skillet. YUM!
Alright, you ready to make some delicious grain-free cookies or what?!
I make all my recipes with lots of love! I hope you guys love it as much as I do. Please tag me on all socials as @balancingandie. I LOVE seeing your creations.
Grain-Free Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup tahini (or any nut butter)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp grain-free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2/3 cup cassava flour
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup semisweet dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Layer baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients in order listed. Stirring after each addition.
- The mixture will feel quite wet at this point. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Mixture will still be wet and sticky so using a tbsp measuring spoon, scoop a spoonful onto the baking sheet and pat lightly. Repeat with remaining mixture (about 12-15 cookies).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the bottoms are golden brown and the top is firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool on a baking sheet and enjoy!