I’m so excited for 2017 and all the opportunities it’ll bring. I finally wrote my goals down last week and have been thinking on how I’ll achieve them. This year I really want to focus on wellness and being present & doing more things for the soul ♥. We all lead such busy lives that I think that this should be a goal everyone should consider.
I know when I speak to a lot of my friends & family, we’re all busy, we’re all running around trying to be super-human and sometimes our nutrition isn’t put as a top priority. There are many days that I have low energy and I’ve been trying to fix that through changes in my diet and exercise. Personally I’ll be at work and won’t eat for awhile and then notice when it’s too late and my body is already crashing. These energy bites are the perfect snack to keep in your fridge at home or at work and grab when you need them or even when you don’t to keep your energy levels stable. You can also leave them outside in a cool, dry place but I wouldn’t recommend that for more than a day.
As you probably know by now, I love CHOCOLATE!! so I had to use some chocolate chips in these bites. If you omit those, this recipe is sugar free along with being dairy-free, egg-free & gluten-free. As with most of my recipes, this is just a guideline, so if you want to replace something, please feel free to do so. If you’re not sure, you can comment below & I can let you know what I think!
Share a picture of your creation using my recipe on Instagram or Facebook by tagging @balancingandie so I can see them :). Click here to pin this recipe for future reference or subscribe to my blog to never miss a post!
Coconut Energy Balls
*If at any point, you come across an ingredient that you can’t have/don’t have or don’t like, please feel free to omit/replace or ask me and I can suggest an alternative :).
- 4 tbsp unsweetened coconut shreds
- 4 medjool dates (remove pitts)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tbsp almond flour *
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats (use gluten-free oats if needed)
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil (or other mild oil)
- 3 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional – mini or regular)
- *you can put almonds in food processor to make into flour or use store brand
- Combine first 6 ingredients in food processor on low for approx 30 seconds to 1 minute until dates are crumbly and evenly distributed.
- Add coconut oil, almond milk, chocolate chips (if using) for another 30 seconds.
- Pinch the mixture between your fingers. It should be slightly tacky but not dry. If too crumbly, add more milk/oil or dates (a little at a time). The mixture should not be too wet.
- Form into balls, refrigerate for up to one week & enjoy on the go!