Black beans in brownies was always a weird phenomenon to me so I finally decided to experiment with it. I really also wanted to make them vegan and totally gluten-free so everyone I know could eat them. This recipe creates VERY fudgy and soft brownies so once they are cooled, pop them in the fridge for at least an hour. This will ensure they are solid enough to cut and trust me, SO WORTH THE WAIT!!
Black beans are one of my favourite beans and they get hidden SO well in here. Don’t take my word for it. TRY IT OUT 🙂 !
So as you can see, they don’t set well right out of the oven. That’s why it’s crucial to refrigerate them for at least an hour or so before you cut into them.
I really hope you try out this delicious recipe! Please tag me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creation friends! To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and receive a freebie too!
Chewy Black Bean Brownies – Vegan & Gluten-free
- 3 flax eggs (1/2 cup water & 3 tbsp ground flax seeds)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup black beans (drained)
- 1 cup hazelnut flour (or almond flour)
- 1/2 cup mini vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line rectangular or square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix flax egg in a small bowl and allow to sit for 5 minutes (until gummy in texture).
- While the flax egg thickens add the black beans to a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients to food processor (other than chocolate chips and walnuts) and mix until well combined. You may need to scrape the sides as necessary.
- Add in toppings, if using and pulse a few times.
- Scrape batter into pan of choice.
- Bake for 40 minutes. The brownies will not be set in the middle when you remove the pan. Allow to cool and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour BEFORE trying to cut them.
- These are super fudgy and moist brownies but they need to be cooled first.
© 2021 Copyright © 2016-2018 Balancing Andie