I love my oatmeal…Like seriously. I eat some form of oats probably 5 days a week. It’s the perfect breakfast or snack food. My favourite part of it are the toppings! Some must-have toppings for me are cacao nibs, goji berries, nut butter, bee pollen, manuka honey etc. The toppings add that little hint of sweetness so I don’t need to add much sweetener to my oats, if any!
Superfoods like goji could be a great addition to your diet. They are an antioxidant. I know that word gets thrown around a lot so what is an antioxidant? Antioxidants help the body deal with oxidative stress from free radicals. Free radicals cause damage to your cells and are naturally produced by our bodies every day through metabolic processes! Now do you see why antioxidants are the big shot in this equation? Bottom line, eat lots of them! Other antioxidants include blueberries, dark chocolate, raspberries, strawberries etc.
I’d love for you to try my recipe 🙂 ! Please tag me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creation friends! To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel.
Cacao Superfood Oatmeal
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats (or whichever you prefer)
- 1 cup of dairy free milk
- 1/2 small zucchini grated
- 1/2 tsp stevia (or 1 tsp or more coconut sugar to taste)
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 scoop collagen peptides (optional)
- 1/2 apple
- 1 tbsp of each unsweetened coconut shreds, cacao nibs, bee pollen, nut butter and goji seeds
- light drizzle of honey or maple syrup to taste
- Combine all oatmeal ingredients (excluding toppings) in a small pot over medium high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Cook to your desired consistency. About 10 minutes until the oatmeal is soft and perfect. I like my oatmeal not super gummy but rather more liquid. Keep cooking if you want it thicker.
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!