If you guys know me, you know I’m obsessed with grocery shopping, finding the best health foods at good prices and the variety we are so lucky to have these days. I mostly shop in Canadian supermarkets but since I live in Vancouver, I make the few odd trips south of the city to my neighbours in Bellingham, Washington to go to Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Fred Meyer etc.
Although it might seem ridiculous to some, it’s pretty normal for border towns to cross over now and again. Trader Joe’s has some seriously good products and even WITH the exchange rate of currency (CAD is lower than USD at the moment) it’s worth it. For example, I buy tempeh for $4 in Canada vs. $2 in the US so it definitely adds up to saving $$ if you’re good and buying things that can be frozen.
I also wanted to share this because I remember how tough it was when I first went dairy free…having to read ALL the nutrition labels so I wanted to share some of the delicious finds I got on my most recent trip to Trader Joe’s and hope that it can help you next time you’re shopping there! All of the products you see below are dairy-free and some are also gluten-free and vegan.
- Cauliflower Gnocchi (fan fav!) – they are always sold out of this so if you see it, snag it or else you may not get any. I love keeping things in the freezer that can be whipped up for an easy meal and this is definitely the top of my list.
- Sunbutter Dark Chocolate Cups – keep them in the fridge or freezer for a delicious after dinner treat. They also have a large selection of chocolate bars, which are dairy-free.
- Corn Tortillas – these refrigerate/freeze well and have minimal ingredients. YUM! Taco night anyone?
- Chilli lime Spice – so good on salmon, fries, eggs etc. Tastes exactly how it sounds, slightly tart and slightly spicy.
- Everything but Bagel Spice – another fan fav! I stock up on this versatile spice every time. Super easy to throw on veggies, avocado, eggs, meat etc.
- Crunchy lentil curls – half the reason I love these are the shape. Crunch level is on point!
- Organic 3 Grain Tempeh – this is such a deal at $1.99 a pack. Perfect to freeze or refrigerate for a quick plant based meal. Enough for 2 servings.
- Vegan Kale Cashew & Basil Pesto – I LOVE how zesty this pesto is. Freezes beautifully. Personally I make my own pesto in the summer as I buy my own basil plant but you can’t really go wrong having some on hand.
- Volpi Pepperoni – gluten-free & no nitrites or nitrates added. Great for quantity vs. price point Trader Joe’s offers.
- Olive Oil Spray – not really sharing this on here because most oil sprays are dairy-free but I love it because it contains no nasty propellants! I love using this in baking or quickly spraying a pan before cooking where the item itself doesn’t need much oil. Great way to cut down on extra calories if you’re looking to reduce. (I like to taste my calories vs. having them snuck in).
I hope this list was helpful to you! If you have any products you love from Trader Joe’s, feel free to comment below so I can try them on my next trip down south.