If you follow me on Instagram or know me in real life, you know I am obsessed with oatmeal! Two things I usually eat daily are my oats and my smoothies. It hasn’t always been this way…growing up, I was more of a cereal gal and the texture of oatmeal grossed me out but I gave it a few more chances and started making them the way I like them instead of buying those sugary packets with flavourings. That was the game changer for me! That stuff should not even be considered oatmeal! I swear there is more sugar in those packets than any other ingredient (incl. oatmeal).
These oats are natural, made with whole ingredients and I’ve even snuck in a few extra ingredients that bring the nutrition of these oats to another level! For example, adding black pepper and a fat like coconut oil to oatmeal might sound weird but it helps with the absorption of turmeric so don’t skip that but if you don’t have all the ingredients, don’t fret! Just try it anyways or replace an ingredient. Even if zucchini and egg whites sound weird in your oats they really are not…Just trust me friends 🙂 !
Here are some ways you can experiment with your oats to make them more filling (so you’re not hungry in an hour like I am) or for added nutrients!
- Add protein via collagen because it’s tasteless! (I use Further Food – use ‘andie10’ for a discount on their site)
- Add protein via egg whites (makes it super creamy)
- Add grated vegetables (like zucchini used here)
Also, just an FYI, I like my oats more liquidy instead of solid and hard…it’s a texture thing for me. If you like them harder, add a bit less liquid.
To be honest, half the reason I love oats so much is because I love ALL the toppings I get to play with on them. I’ll list some of the toppings I use regularly and link them below. Don’t think you need to buy them all or any. They are just additional fun ways to add texture and sweetness but if you do, know that they last for sooo long. I use maybe 1 tsp of each topping at a time and those packages go for a long time.
My favourite toppings:
- Manuka Honey (I use Wedderspoon)
- Cacao Nibs (I use Inari Organic)
- Bee Pollen (I use Dutchman’s Gold)
- Coconut flakes (I use Everland Organic Unsweetened Coconut)
- Goji Berries (I use ELAN Organic)
- Nut Butters – (I use Maranatha) or other various brands like Trader Joes nut seed butter but a lot of the time I make my own coconut almond butter (click here for my the recipe)
I’d love for you to try my recipe, please tag me on Facebook or Instagram (@balancingandie) so I can follow along :). Click here to pin this recipe for future reference or subscribe to my blog to never miss a post!