If you’re following me on Instagram, you’ll know I drink a lot of smoothies…like a lot! Most of my breakfasts during the week are smoothies – regardless of the weather or season. I might be crazy but it works for me because a) I’m hungry first thing in the morning so I can’t wait until I’m at the office to finally eat oatmeal or whatever b) I don’t want to wake up even earlier than I do …(6 a.m.) to eat breakfast at home and c) because I can’t wait to eat, smoothies are an easy grab and go breakfast that I can drink during my commute.
So there is a right and wrong way to have a smoothie as a meal replacement. Years ago, I used to drink smoothies that were full of fruit and tasted SO good. Those were a treat, not my breakfast. When I started having smoothies as my breakfast (4-5 years ago now?) I noticed I was hungry in an hour or so and by the time lunch rolled around, it sounded like I was giving birth to a grumbling tummy monster. I knew I had to change my go-to recipe and now I’m sharing my formula for success with you!
So what do I do now that keeps me full longer and is a proper meal replacement? Keep reading, plus I include my recipe for this Mocha Madness Smoothie!
The Right Way to Have a Smoothie for Breakfast:
- Choose minimal (1-2) servings of fruit (example: 1/2 banana and 1/4 cup blueberries)
- Add a protein (I’ll be using Ideal Raw (discount for you at the end of this post) in Chocolate in my Mocha Madness Smoothie recipe)
- Add a fat (example: nut butter, nuts or avocado)
- Add extras (optional) that are high in fiber (example: spinach, kale or herbs)
- Choose a low sugar or unsweetened liquid to get your desired consistency (water, dairy free milk, coconut water, cold brew etc.)
So why do I need all these things you may ask? Well… sugar, even from fruit, is absorbed quickly in your digestive system. Once you throw a banana, mango, peach, and milk into a blender, it has already broken down the items mechanically for your body to digest even faster. To keep your smoothie from digesting quickly aka also spiking your blood sugar and/or emptying from your stomach causing you feeling hungry again, it’s best to include what I listed above. Protein, fat and fiber will slow down the rate of which your smoothie is absorbed as it moves through your digestive system. Generally carbohydrates (sugars are a carb), are digested within a few hours whereas proteins and fats take longer to digest. So I always add all the macro nutrients + fiber to mine!
Yes, Protein Quality Matters!
In this recipe I used Organic Plant Protein by Ideal Raw. I’m always on the hunt for vegan protein sources that taste good and aren’t chalky or pulpy tasting. Is pulpy a word? You know which ones I’m referring to. The ones that are full of your days worth of greens but then just taste like rotting kale and even your dog would turn its nose up at it…you get the point 🙂 . I also love that they are dairy-free, gluten-free, soy free, non- GMO and USDA certified organic. Each scoop delivers 15g of a complete protein. Ps. Ideal Raw has given you all 10% off site wide with the code BALANCINGANDIE. To shop click here. They also have a whole line of supplements and other health products that I’ve been trying.
Like just look at these ingredients:
IdealRaw Plant Protein Blend: (Organic Rice Protein, Organic Pea Protein, Organic Coconut Protein, Organic Chia Protein, Organic Sunflower Protein, Organic Golden Flax Protein, Organic Pumpkin Protein), Organic Coconut Milk Powder, Organic Cocoa Powder, Natural Flavoring, Sodium Chloride, Organic Stevia, Organic SuperFoods Blend (Organic Cranberries, Organic Pomegranate, Organic Broccoli, Organic Wheat Grass, Organic Beet Powder)
So try out my Mocha Madness Smoothie recipe below, I hope it keeps you satiated longer and that you love it! Please tag me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creation friends! To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and receive some free meal prep tips too!
Mocha Madness Smoothie
The instant coffee brings out the chocolate flavour even more and is a nice boost in the a.m. If you don't drink coffee, just omit it!
If you don't have instant coffee, use 1/4 cup cold brew or brew double strength coffee (that is cooled) and decrease milk by 1/4.
- 1 scoop of Ideal Raw Organic Chocolate Protein
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy free milk (I prefer almond)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/4 (quarter) frozen avocado
- Handful of cauliflower (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp instant coffee (optional - or replace 1/4 milk with cold brew)
- Mix all ingredients in a high power blender.
- If you like a thinner consistency or your blender isn't moving, add a bit more milk or water at a time until it's the consistency that you like.
- Top with fun toppings like raspberries, figs etc. and enjoy!
Disclosure: Thank you to Ideal Raw for sponsoring this post. However, as always, the opinions expressed are always my own.