I don’t know who doesn’t love easy recipes with simple fresh ingredients. I make this all the time and substitute the protein for variety. Sometimes I use tempeh, other times chickpeas or tofu. The possibilities are really endless and perfect for adding a vegetarian meal to your diet (even if you’re not vegetarian!)
I always find it hard to spice things for other people because I love my spices so I generally try to keep it mild so that everyone can enjoy it. If you’re like me, dump on the spices!!
Ps. I’m trying to eliminate/limit toxins from my life…slowly but surely I’ll get there. There are lots of cast iron skillets on the market. I’d suggest investing in a good one that’s at least 12 inches rather than the cute little ones I see sometimes. I like practicality 🙂 . They are great for even heat distribution, and the coating won’t come off like your pans do (aka you are ingesting the coating). I use it for everything lately! They even get a good char on some meats. The only downside is how heavy it is but I make it work!! If you’d like to get your own, I’d recommend something like this from Amazon. I buy way too much on Amazon, shh don’t tell anyone!
I’d love for you to give my recipe a try! Please tag me on Instagram or Facebook (@balancingandie) so I can see your lovely creations! Click here to pin this recipe for future reference or subscribe to my blog to receive updates directly to your inbox.
Meatless Monday: Lemon Tempeh Noodles
Please replace vegetables/ spices as needed. I would guess that vermicelli, ramen or soba noodles would taste good as a substitute for the spaghetti.
*Everyone has different tastes so you will need to add or decrease spices. I have provided a general guideline. I like mine more tangy and more spicy!
For the Spaghetti:
- 100g Spaghetti (Whole Wheat or sub other noodles of choice)
- 2 cups Spinach
- 2 medium Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp Sundried Tomatoes (dried or in oil)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil (or other mild oil)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp, Dried Chilli Flakes (more/less to taste)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (to taste)
For the Tempeh:
- 1 package (113g) Tempeh, cubed (sub tofu)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp Capers(drained)
- 4 olives (chopped)
- 50g pancetta
- 2 oz feta
- Chop/Prepare all add ins so they are ready to go.
- Boil 3/4 full pot of water on high heat. Cook the spaghetti or noodles of choice according to the package instructions. I like to keep my spaghetti al dente. If this is done before everything else, submerge in cold water to prevent noodles from overcooking.
- While spaghetti is cooking, in a saucepan or cast iron add cubed tempeh and water on medium-high heat. Cover with lid for a quick steam until the water has evaporated. Remove lid and add the salt, pepper, turmeric and saute quickly (2-4 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add oil to the same pan on medium high heat, add onion and saute until translucent, add spinach and cook until wilted. Add cooked spaghetti (or noodles) and remaining ingredients. Toss to incorporate.
- Taste and adjust spices as need. For heat add more black pepper or chilli flakes, for tang add more lemon juice, add more salt as required.
© 2022 Copyright © 2016-2018 Balancing Andie
This information is provided as an estimate only and does not contain any of the optional ingredients in its calculation. The below information may change with any substitution you make or variances in items used.
Servings Per Container 2
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21g
Saturated Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrate 62g
Dietary Fiber 16g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
(This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small referral fee if you make a purchase using this link at no additional cost to you)