New year – same me! Still obsessed with pancakes and eating REAL food. I’d eat these every day if I could. I love my banana pancake recipe but I thought it was time to add another flavour to the rotation in my house. I wanted to make a gluten-free pancake recipe that 1) wasn’t dense and 2) didn’t fall apart when trying to flip the pancake. These are refined sugar free and you could even try substituting a flax egg instead of an egg to make them Vegan! Happy to say you will love these! I used a mix of brown rice flour, almond flour and oatmeal but you can also use a gluten-free blend if that’s all you have at home!
They also freeze great for weekday breakfast in a jiffy but I’d make the caramelized apples fresh or at least keep them separate until it’s time to serve them!
Hope you enjoy! As always, I LOVE seeing your recipe creations. Please tag me on all socials as @balancingandie so I can follow along 🙂 . To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and you will be given a FREE download to help you with your weekly meal planning!
Gluten-free Apple Pie Pancakes
Peeling the apples is optional. I used granny smith because I like how tart they are, you can use whichever you prefer.
- 1 granny smith apple (grated - including the juice/peel)
- 1.5 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour (or gluten-free blend)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or more gluten-free blend)
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp raw coconut sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1/2 tsp all spice (or 1/4 nutmeg and 1/4 cinnamon)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- 1 granny smith apple chopped (optional: peeled)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/8 tsp all spice (or mix nutmeg/cinnamon)
Other toppings (optional):
- nut butter, maple syrup, jam etc.
- Grate 1 granny smith apple in a large bowl (discard any excess peel and core), mix in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredients - set aside.
- Saute the topping ingredients on low-medium heat for about 10 minutes until the apples are as soft as you'd like.
- While the apples are cooking, cook the pancakes on medium heat, about 30 seconds per side.
- Serve pancakes with caramelized apples and nut butter or syrup based on your preference.
© 2021 Copyright © 2016-2018 Balancing Andie