Happy December! I’m so excited about life lately. For the past few months I just felt a little bogged down and burnt out and have been taking as much time as I could to slow down and practice more self care for myself. During my “slow” down, I was in the kitchen quite a bit experimenting with holiday recipes and not going to lie, this was a family favourite with my entire crew! That never happens and personally, I am such a fan of raw desserts…seriously they are so easy to whip up and look so impressive with all the layers. I usually make recipes like this for my family’s Christmas dinner because it works for all of us. Usually I make a raw chocolate torte, click here for the recipe! SO good but excuse the pictures on that recipe though, it’s one of my early recipes …
I feel like I’m on a chocolate + peppermint roll this year. It’s one of my favourite holiday flavour combos. If you missed the recipe for my Vegan Peppermint Mocha Balls, just click here for the recipe! Energy balls never disappoint…
This recipe is raw, vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, refined sugar free (excluding the topping). The bars also freeze really well in an airtight container. Just let them defrost before you try to eat them!
I hope you try the recipe for these Peppermint Chocolate Cheesecake Squares soon. Please tag me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creation friends! To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and receive a freebie too!
Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Squares
Note: coconut cream is different than coconut milk. The filling will be too liquid if you use coconut milk. Do not shake the coconut cream or stir, spoon out the thick coconut cream first and then use a bit of the water to make 1 1/3 cup of coconut cream needed for the recipe. I love the Thai Kitchen or Trader Joe brand.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut (or more almond flour)
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 5 medjool dates (pitts removed)
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in cold water in fridge overnight)
- 1 1/3 cup coconut cream (NOT MILK )(only use mostly thick part of can)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 regular sized candy cane crushed
- 3 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Line 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, to make the crust, using the "S" blade combine almond flour, shredded coconut and cacao powder on high for about 3 minutes until well combined. Add almond butter, water and medjool dates and mix for another minute. Pinch the dough, it should feel a bit tacky and stick together. If not, add more almond butter.
- Empty crust ingredients into prepared dish and press firmly. Make sure the crust is evenly thick and pressed well into the dish. Place crust in the fridge while you work on the filling.
- Combine filling ingredients in a blender until well combined. Note: do not shake the coconut cream or stir, spoon out the thick coconut cream first and then use a bit of the water to make 1 1/3 cup of coconut cream needed for the recipe.
- Remove crust from the refrigerator, pour in filling and return to refrigerator to set for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Sprinkle toppings on top of cheesecake squares when ready to serve either before or after you cut into squares. Keeps well for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer.
2 Replies to “Chocolate Peppermint Cheesecake Squares”
Could you pop this in the freezer to set if you don’t have time to do it overnight?
I think that would work for sure! Just keep it covered. I actually froze the rest to eat at a later time. Just defrost for a few minutes before eating. Hope you enjoy 🙂