Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and honestly, I don’t get all excited for the big fuss made over Valentine’s Day but I still like to spend quality time with my partner. Unfortunately, this Valentine’s Day I will be spending at work and school but he still knows how much he means to me 🙂 . For me, it’s the little cute gestures like brunch that mean so much to me over the elaborate chocolates, stuffed animals and gifts. I think you should appreciate and show your love to your partner everyday but it’s always nice to do something a little extra …like this fancy bacon, just saying…
If you didn’t know, one of my FAVOURITE meals is brunch! It’s seriously all the best foods combined at one. So this year, if you want to make your February 14th brunch special, or really anytime of the year, you have to try this Chocolate Goji Bacon Strips recipe. It’s practically no more work than making regular bacon and can be made in advance! I chose to top it with Goji but you can use whatever you’d like or skip it all together. Some other ideas for toppings: coconut shreds, bee pollen, sprinkles, cacao nibs etc. pretty much anything small that will stick to the chocolate!
Are these pictures making you drool yet? Yes, good! Now go try it out for yourself 🙂 while I finish the rest of this plate. No regrets, my friends!
I’d love for you to try my recipe 🙂 ! Please tag me on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook @balancingandie so I can see your lovely creation friends! To never miss a post again, you can subscribe to my blog on your right hand panel and receive some free meal prep tips too!
Chocolate Goji Bacon Strips
If you don't own a double boiler, follow this method - you'll need 1 pot and 1 metal mixing bowl that is bigger than the pot so when stacked, it doesn't fall in.
Fill the pot half way with water and turn the heat to high. Place bowl on top, add in chocolate chips. The steam will begin to melt the chocolate. Holding the bowl with oven mitts (it'll be hot) stir until the chocolate is liquid, add in the oil, stir and remove from the heat. Viola! No double boiler needed 🙂
- 7 thick cut bacon strips
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp goji berries (coconut, bee pollen, ground nuts etc.)
- Cook the bacon according to the package. Allow to cool, laying flat on a paper towel to remove the excess grease.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (see my note if you don't have one - how to do this) or melt in a microwave in 30 second intervals until the chips have turned into liquid.
- Stir in the oil.
- Once the bacon is cool, transfer to a plate. Using a fork, begin drizzling the chocolate over the slices. Press goji or other topping of choice into the spots that have more chocolate.
- Allow to cool in the fridge for 15 minutes or overnight. Enjoy!
- Store any excess in the fridge for about 3 days.