I have about 5lbs of fresh blueberries sitting at my house right now and I’m definitely on cloud 9. My mom always buys big crates from a local farm in the summer and they are SO fresh. The ones in the stores are great but kind of taste like water to me after trying these. These fresh ones taste like actual blueberries in the best way possible. The flavour is incomparable to anything I’ve found at the grocers. My taste buds couldn’t be happier right now so I’ve been experimenting non-stop with blueberries. Like in everything…no lie.
I love desserts that are guilt free and made with wholesome ingredients so I came up with this beautiful thing. All the pizookie’s I saw on my Pinterest feed inspired me to create my own. The amazing thing is how this is so allergy friendly so if you need help with a substitution, don’t hesitate to holler in the comments below!
I could tell you how much I love this but I think you should drop everything and go make this. I know that this is definitely going to be my go-to dessert at home.
Want to make it more decadent? Add a dollop of coconut ice cream on this beauty!
So to avoid me rambling more…here’s the recipe 🙂 I hope you try my recipe and share some photos, please tag me on Facebook or Instagram (@balancingandie) so I can follow along :). Click here to pin this recipe for future reference or subscribe to my blog to never miss a post!
If using a salted nut butter, omit the salt called for in the recipe.
I like using a mix of nut butters for different flavours and find tahini and almond butter go great together! But you can use sunflower, coconut, cashew, peanut etc.
- 1 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut or more almond meal
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine grain salt
- 1/2 cup any nut butter (I mixed tahini & almond butter)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (softened or melted)
- 1 egg (can use flax egg)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries or other berries
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips or chunks (paleo & dairy-free if needed but I use Enjoy Life Chunks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 10 inch cast iron with parchment paper or spray. I prefer the paper for easy clean up and guaranteed to be no fuss. You can use a smaller or bigger cast iron or loaf pan and adjust the time accordingly.
- Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients and add dry ingredients and stir to incorporate. Add your toppings at this point. The dough should be very sticky but not thin.
- Scoop into your desired pan and using a rubber spatula to avoid it sticking to your hands, make into your desired shape.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until the edges are brown and it's cooked in the center. You can also broil it at the end to get the top nice and toasty if it isn't already.
© 2021 Copyright © 2016-2018 Balancing Andie